story/35133421/new-treatment- for-parkinsons-disease- available-in-tucson#. WO7AsEdbrb0.email
The month of April is all about shedding light on a brain disorder affecting millions of people around the world.
Local Neurologist Dr. Cynthia Reed stops by Fox 11 Daybreak to tell us more about a new treatment for Parkinson's Disease in Tucson.
Parkinson's Disease by the numbers:
- 10 million people suffer from Parkinson's Disease around the world
- There are 60,000 new diagnoses every year in the U.S.
- 1 million Americans currently live with Parkinson's Disease
- It is the 14th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- It is the 2nd most common neuro-degenerative condition after Alzheimer's Disease
- 15 percent of those diagnosed are under 50 years old (it usual develops after age 60).
Resources to help you or loved ones dealing with Parkinson's Disease:
MOBILE USERS: Download our app, the most-used news app in southern Arizona, to get breaking news alerts, weather forecasts and exclusive content on your Apple and Androiddevices.